Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Bad

So, how can we think about "the bad" in our world today?  Traditionally, Christians have talked about "the world," "the flesh," "sin," "works of darkness," etc.  Do these words still communicate to people today?

When I look for "the bad" in and around me, I see my selfishness, myself thinking about myself more than others.  Selfishness, hate, oppression, violence, this is what I read in the news every day.  Our world is falling apart, and has been for a long time.  Environmental degradation caused by selfishness and greed.  Exploitation of the poor and weak by the powerful.  Hate-filled rhetoric and actions that harm and kill.

Unfortunately, many public Christians focus on sex as the main source of evil in our world.  While I agree that misusing God's good gift of sex is bad, I really cannot think that it is the biggest evil.  Imagine a world in which people are loving and caring toward each other, acting with humility and lifting each other up.  Imagine a world based on mutual respect and peace.  Now, imagine in this world people still have sex with whomever they want.  First, I would argue, IF that is still a problem, then we can deal with it then.  Second, I don't even know that this WOULD be a problem, since if people are using sex as a means of caring for another in love, without selfishness, greed, or violence, I think that people would be having sex in a lifelong, committed relationship.

Selfishness and hatred are the roots of evil in our world (with a few others).  And, what is the opposite of those?  Love.  How does the Bible describe God?  What is God like?  Love.

Amen!  Come, Lord Jesus!  Come Lord of Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment