Sunday, March 4, 2012

Following the Way

What precisely does it mean to follow the Way of Jesus?  Are the spiritual practices that we do only solitary or even "spiritual" actions?

  • Learning about the Way of Jesus helps shape our minds and behavior.
  • Praying helps develop our trust in God and compassion for others.
  • Praise and Worship help us show our love for God.
  • Giving generously helps us also trust God and show compassion for others.
These and other spiritual practices are important, but to paraphrase St. Paul in 1 Corinthians 13, I could be the best Bible-studier, the biggest prayer warrior, the most enthusiastic worshipper, and the most generous giver, but if my life and actions are not permeated by my love of God AND neighbor, then I'm just wasting my time.

The Way of Jesus all comes down to the greatest commandments.  We are to love God with all of our heart, mind, soul, strength, body- EVERYTHING.  We are to spend our time, talents, and treasure to show our love for God.  And, Jesus said, "If you love me, you will obey what I command" (John 14:15).  And, what does God command of us?  To love our neighbor as ourselves.  

There is a lot to say about personal holiness, faith, and other things to do between me and God.  But, if my memory serves me from my last reading of the Bible, then the number of verses related to loving our neighbor actually outweigh the verses for loving God.  That's because one of the biggest ways we show our love for God is to selflessly and completely love and serve our neighbor!

So, anyone who is "working on their relationship with God" or "close to God" and acts like a jerk, isn't actually working on their relationship with the God of the Bible, the Creator of the Universe.  Because, without love (REAL love), then you're wasting your time.

(Thanks to Seth who inspired this post by sharing this link: http://sojo.net/blogs/2011/12/27/bait-and-switch-contemporary-christianity  Please check it out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment