Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Way

Going back to my last post on names, I think the "name" that resonates with me the most right now is "The Way", or more specifically, "The Way of Jesus."  I recently listened to the audiobook version of "Finding Our Way Again" by Brian McLaren.  One of his focuses of the book was that the church in Acts was often called "The Way."

The phrase "The Way" makes me think of a way of life, a journey.  I have a theological education and have studied much about the church.  So, I know many of the "answers" to questions people have about the Bible and Christianity.  I have spent time figuring out the teachings I "believe" in.  But, often, my life has been empty and the promise of Jesus for an abundant life has sounded hollow.  But, when I have taken the time to "practice" my faith, things are different.

McLaren (and I'm going from memory, so don't quote me) likens spiritual disciplines (like prayer, study, etc.) to practicing for anything else.  Whether it is football, piano, a foreign language, or ballet, anyone who wants to BE a football player, pianist, fluent speaker, or ballet dancer, must put in the time practicing.  The same thing goes for the life of faith.  If we want to be people who live a life of love for God and others, if we want to live with passion, purpose, and integrity, then we need our practice!  And, we practice by carving out the time to do spiritual disciplines.  These disciplines can be fixed hour prayer, fasting, and the other things McLaren talks about in his book, or they could be other forms of prayer, study, fellowship, stewardship, and the like.  But, it is when I am making the effort to PRACTICE the Way of Jesus, the closer I feel to Jesus.  And, the more authenticity I have in talking about what God is doing in my life.

What about you?  Do you have experience with spiritual practices?

2 comments:

  1. The times in my life when I have spent dedicated time reading scripture or praying have certainly made me feel more spiritually in tune. No doubt that immersing ourselves in scripture is important to understand our roles and responsibilities in the kingdom of heaven. However, I also came across this story that really made me think. Spiritual practices are important, but equally as important are practicing our spirituality in public through service and love. I'm still digesting it...

    http://sojo.net/blogs/2011/12/27/bait-and-switch-contemporary-christianity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seth,

    Excellent article, thanks for sharing it! Maybe that will influence my next post...

    ReplyDelete