Friday, January 13, 2012

The “Not” Answers


I am a Christian.  I am happy about that.  I have no intention or desire of changing that.  There are reasons I am a Christian, but there are wrong answers (for me) for being a Christian.

Wrong Answer #1:  Because I’m an American

Personally, I hate this answer (okay, I hate all of these answers).  The United States has been culturally Christian, in part because the European immigrants were culturally Christian, which is because Christianity and the political structure of Europe overlapped in some very un-Christian ways.  But, many of our “Founding Fathers” (to whom I am very grateful, I do love this country and its wonderful Constitution, especially the freedom of religion clause) were theists, disbelieving in the divinity of Christ and other essential Christian teachings.  A person can be a patriotic American and be an atheist, Jew, Muslim, Buddhist, or anything else under the sun.  A person can be a Bible-believing, Christ-following Christian and be from (and living in) any country on this planet (and possibly beyond this planet).  Christian and American are two totally different categories.  Saying that they are the same is some version of syncretism or even possibly a version of caesaropapism.  

Agree?  Disagree?  Write a comment!

Check back tomorrow for Wrong Answer #2!

2 comments:

  1. I am with you all the way on this one. This was a stumbling block for me years ago as I sometimes voted republican because of the abortion issue. Now I see it as a religious issue. I personally do not believe, in any circumstance, that I would have an abortion. Unless the pregnancy was really threatening my life, then I would consider that my young family really needs their mama and wife around. Then Jesus and I would do some serious talking. But regarding abortion, I really believe that life begins at conception, and I believe this in part or in whole because I am a Christian. If I were not a Christian, I would look more to science, perhaps, or to the book of my religion, for answers. So Americans must be free to choose their religion, and therefore, free to choose when life begins, therefore, free to choose what to do in certain stages of pregnancy. So, now I can vote with a free conscience and vote for the candidate that will make America a better place for ALL, a USA with equal opportunities for all, rich poor, black white, gay straight, healthy sick, Christian atheist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Franny,

    Thanks for sharing! I know that issue is a difficult one for many Christians. I'm glad you have found peace with your decision.

    ReplyDelete